.

.

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Bring on the new year!!

2013 was a bit of a tough year for me, however also filled with lots of happy moments, love and beautiful people. I must say that I am looking forward to the new year, putting a few things behind me, taking what I've learnt and celebrating what I have.

I've never being very good at resolutions, although I do like the idea of making goals, and I especially love lists, so this year I'm going to try to follow a couple of practical and I think achievable resolutions ...

✅ Not buy any bottled water

I don't buy bottled water very often, however when I do I feel annoyed with myself for a few reasons - the unnecessary cost and the impact on the environment. Hopefully this resolution won't be too hard, and will help me to be more organised by taking my own water with me when I'm going out and well and truly kick the habit.

This article at The Hoopla has some interesting facts about how we consume bottled water and its impact.



✅ Throw out  or give away one thing every day
 
This is a friend's idea that I'm copying, and hopefully we will both be able to get rid of some clutter if we do this. Obviously daily rubbish etc. doesn't count, it has to be something substantial like a piece of clothing, a pair of shoes, an ornament or a box of old bits and pieces.

After writing this I decided to do a bit of research, and I found that of course someone else has been doing this too for a couple of years. The blog '365 less things', has lots of great ideas and inspiration for decluttering which I will keep reading as motivation.


These two simple resolutions go together quite well as they are about consuming and having less as well as letting go. The impact of these small changes will hopefully go beyond the physical to creating more space psychologically as well. Space for a more contemplative resolution that I will write about in the next week or so.

Let me know if you would like to join me in these resolutions for the year - or even a month or a week!  I'll keep you posted of my progress and we can share our success!


"As they say in Tibet, if you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves".

Rick Hanson www.rickhanson.net


May your New Year be full of happiness and peace ... and of course many cups of tea!
Vanna xxx


My beautiful big Christmas tea cup from my son.











 

2 comments:

  1. I'm jumping on the de-clutter band wagon. I just love the idea of giving away one thing each day…….here's to a less cluttered 2014

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vanna, that blog sounds like something I need to follow. I also love the idea of giving away 1 thing a day. It sounds more doable than trying to declutter too much at a time. I will start doing that process as well. xx

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you. All comments are moderated.