.

.

Monday 30 June 2014

Reading - the silver lining.

It's been a while between posts as I had a small health hiccup, however am thankfully all recovered and ready for life to return to 'normal'. There is always a sliver lining and  having to take some time off to heal meant that I got to do lots of reading! I finished both books that I posted about previously - Far from the Tree and Currawong Manor.

Currawong Manor was a wonderful escape into another world full of interesting and eccentric characters and mystery. The atmosphere that Josephine creates is thick with suspense and her words build such strong and beautiful pictures. The story is set in the Blue Mountains and I always enjoy reading about somewhere that is familiar to me. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the mountains so that I can enjoy the beautiful scenery with the images and characters from Currawong Manor playing in my mind.

Far from the Tree also lived up to expectations. I was overwhelmed by the stories of family, love and resilience that Andrew Solomon presents as he explores identity and difference. My work as a teacher has given me a small amount of understanding of how having a child with a disability or who 'doesn't fit in' can impact on families, and this book explores such a wide range of children and families that I feel I have expanded my knowledge enormously by reading it. He covers so many issues, particularly the significance of identity, without judgement and with love and sensitivity, and highlights the incredible strength that can be gained from tough times and experiences.

I also re-read The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - such a fun and clever book.

I am so thankful that I enjoy (actually adore and couldn't live without!) reading. Knowing that I can escape into a book helps me to move beyond my own concerns and makes my life bigger and more amazing. 






2 comments:

  1. Hi Josephine - I read your comment and somehow it got lost when it was published! I've heard that The Goldfinch is great too so I'm looking forward to reading it sometime soon. Thanks Vxxx

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you. All comments are moderated.