.

.

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Life and death

As I began my walk today I started by feeling so sad after hearing of the loss of the brilliant Robin Williams. It's always a weird thing to shed tears over someone you never knew personally - however being able to make people laugh and cry the way that he did is worth remembering.

As I continued to walk my spirits began to lift. It's cold today - only 12 degrees C, which for a Sydneysider is pretty chilly, but the sun was shining and as I felt it on my skin and I walked with my beautiful dog Mali beside me I felt truly alive. The park had that lovely clean and fresh atmosphere that you get after rain. The sky seemed extra blue and once again I felt so fortunate to have this wonderful space so close to home and the time to appreciate it.


It might sound a little corny, but the contrast between the sadness of death and the beauty of this day filled me with gratitude.  Being alive is such a gift and while life is full of sadness at times, the grief reminds us how precious life is and am I thankful for that. 



4 comments:

  1. I am reminded of the American Indian saying, 'Today is a good day to die.' Being present, being grateful. Being aware of the gift of the actual moment and not having the ego identification that we have in the West. I was also very moved and saddened by Robin Williams's transition. I guess growing up with Mork and Mindy, he was part of the backdrop of my life. It's always a shock when you realise that the people who appear to have everything, can be vastly different behind their public personas. And I am always grateful that there is so much nature in the inner-west. It's so healing. Much love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josephine - I always love your photos of the park, especially the early morning ones when a night owl such as me is still sound asleep! Mork and Mindy were so cool - I remember that the show was just so different from anything else I had seen before. Vxx

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you. All comments are moderated.